Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To the BEST COOK...

I met my Auntie Gie long before I even knew she existed. She was my Aunt Lina's (mom's eldest sister) best friend, her only best friend and I frequently saw her while I was growing up. She was a regular visitor in my lola's house and my mom would tell me that Aunt Gie would always tell her that Aunt Gie really feels uncomfortable passing by their house whenever she sees my mom at the window. Note to Reader: My mom really exudes this aura that people oftentimes interpret as something negative but the truth is, my mom is a very shy person.    

When Aunt Lina left lola's house, she stayed with Aunt Gie. They transferred from one place to another and wherever they go, they bring their 'food business' with them. Both of them were hands-on with their business that they even ended up supplying meals for the employees of Graceland Bake House. I can remember my summer days when my brother and I used to take our vacation at my aunt's place and everyday, we get to have 3 to 4 viands with unlimited rice. The smell of the food would usually wake me up in the morning and make me crave for the day's meals. Yes, kuya and I would really gain a lot of pounds during our stay at their place. 

Auntie Gie was really a good cook. My family would always tap her whenever we have special occasions or just a simple Sunday family gathering. She can really make the occasion memorable because of the food! What I even like about her is that despite the rigorous procedure that she has to do in every menu, she can manage to burst into a heartful laugh. I love her laugh! It's really infectious! 

And for every family gathering, she was there, she was always there because she was part of our family. 

Early this year, months before I decided to try my luck in Singapore, she was diagnosed with cancer. Stage 3 lung cancer. The doctors removed the water in her lungs and one of her doctors found a trace of scar in her x-ray result. She was supposed to undergo chemotherapy but she decided not to, she said her family needed the money more than her. There was no regular medication, medicines were only bought whenever there is enough money and she replaced the medicines with herbal drinks. Our family kept praying for her, that was the best thing that we can do. 

From the moment that she was diagnosed with cancer, she eventually started losing weight. However, the 'infectious laugh' was still there. She could still  afford making other people laugh despite the excruciating pain brought by her illness. When she started attending the Sunday service at Upper Room, I personally felt relieved. I knew it was a good sign, I thought that she was getting well but later on, I realized that it was her way to make us feel her presence. She struggled to attend the service every Sunday until she can no longer bring herself to church. Weeks, months and the echos of her infectious laugh was suddenly replaced by murmurs of pain. 

Two weeks before she said goodbye, we visited her in their house at Dayangdang. She was very thin, she must have lost 40 pounds or more and the look on her face made me wish that she would still remember me. 
During our 3 hour stay, she mostly remained quiet. It was really painful seeing her in that state. I cannot bear seeing her like that.



October 20, 2012, 6:30pm, Aunt Gie gave her last breath. 


I will really miss you Auntie Gie. Thank you for everything. Thank you for being my number one fan. Thank you for making me laugh. Thank you for the delicious meals that you've cooked for us. Thank you for teaching me how to play Bingo. Thank you for treating me like a real niece. Thank you for coming to our family. 

Repost from Herold Pelonio:
May the Angels lead her into Paradise.
May the Martyrs receive her at her coming
and take her to Jerusalem, the Holy City.
May the Choirs of the Angels receive her, 
and may she, with the once poor Lazarus, 
have rest everlasting. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment